Lamb Shanks Kleftico in the Slow Cooker
This recipe is a hybrid of the Sainsbury’s version of lamb kleftico and Olive’s lamb kleftico. It takes a bit of time because you marinade the lamb shanks for 24 hours first, but it is well worth the effort. It was delicious (sorry no pics…we ate it too fast). Besides that…it doesn’t look very pretty ahaha.
- juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine (or dry white wine)
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 head of garlic, peeled and with the cloves put through a garlic press
- 2 tsp dried Greek oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2-4 lamb shanks (small enough to fit into your slow cooker).
For the Slow Cooker
- 1 large onion, rough chopped
- 2-3 large carrots, rough chopped
- pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2″ cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup crumbled feta for serving.
- Mix the marinade together and pour over 2-4 lamb shanks to coat. Marinade 24 hours, turning every once in a while.
- Remove lamb from the fridge to come up to room temp while you are prepping the slow cooker.
- Put onions and carrots in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add the lamb and marinade.
- Sprinkle with the salt.
- tuck in the bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
- Surround with the cherry tomotoes.
- Put the lid on, set to low and cook for 7-8 hours or until the meat is falling off the bones.
- Serve over mashed potato or mashed sweet potato and top with crumbled feta cheese.
Serves 2-4 depending on how many lamb shanks you did.