Nothing beats peaches in season but if you have a hankering for that peachy goodness during the winter, this recipe is for you. It’s easy and hits that sweet spot.
- 1/2 C butter
- 2 cans sliced peaches in syrup
- 1 C peach syrup (from the canned peaches)
- 1/3 C sugar
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Zest and juice of half a lemon (optional but it cuts the sweetness of the syrup)
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Melt butter in a 9×13 glass baking dish.
- Drain peaches and reserve 1 C of the syrup.
- Whisk the remaining ingredients with the 1 C of peach syrup to make a smooth batter and pour into the baking dish.
- Press the sliced peaches into the batter evenly around the baking dish.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until the top is golden.
- Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Serve warm with Bourbon sauce: Epicurious recipe and vanilla ice cream
Bourbon sauce (makes about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- Pinch of salt
Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in remaining ingredients in the order given. The sugar will be a bit gloopy until it melts, adding the Bourbon will help (incorporate it well before you add the whipping cream).
Simmer until thickened, whisking often, about 3 minutes. Cool slightly. You can make it ahead and pop it in the fridge but you’ll need to reheat it as the butter will solidify.