There’s a Gastown restaurant called Birds & Beets that serves their breakfast sandwiches with pickled red onion on top. They are oh so delicious so I decided to make some at home. Ingredients 1 large red onion, peeled, cut in half and sliced thinly 3/4 …
I bought some frozen coconut chunks and mango while on a frozen fruit shopping spree so I added a banana and thought I’d try them out in the Nutribullet to make this delicious coconut banana mango smoothie. Load the following ingredients in the order give …
I treated myself to a Nutribullet recently and have been playing around with smoothie recipes to get more fruit and veg into my diet. This is quick, easy, light and refreshing.
- 1 medium banana broken into chunks
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 Tbsp yogurt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3 ice cube
Load your Nutribullet in the order given and top up with water to the Max line. Whiz it up. Makes two 10 oz glasses of yum.
Note: If you want a refreshing boozy treat leave out the yogurt and add 2 oz of Grand Marnier.
Like many people I’ve been tackling the “COVID 10” weight gain. Instead of investing in a whole new wardrobe, I decided to try Noom to see whether it might help me drop the extra weight. Part of the challenge is finding stuff I like to …
This recipe is a melange of a bunch of different recipes for Morning Glory Muffins and Pineapple Carrot Muffins. I mixed these by hand (a mixer is not necessary). I used white flour but you could use whole wheat or a mix of the two. They are not super sweet and the orange zest really shines through.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1 small apple cored and grated
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Zest of one orange
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple (drained)
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Grate the carrot and apple and toss them into the dry ingredients and give them a good mix (this ensures an even mix throughout the muffin batter).
- Stir in the raisins.
- Whisk the oil, buttermilk, vanilla and eggs.
- Stir in the crushed pineapple.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet.
- Mix until just combined (try not to over mix).
- Line 12 muffin tin with liners or grease and fill 2/3rds full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool on rack for 5 minutes then remove from tin.
These freeze well.
This recipe is a hybrid of the Sainsbury’s version of lamb kleftico and Olive’s lamb kleftico. It takes a bit of time because you marinade the lamb shanks for 24 hours first, but it is well worth the effort. It was delicious (sorry no pics…we ate it too fast). Besides that…it doesn’t look very pretty ahaha.
- juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine (or dry white wine)
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 head of garlic, peeled and with the cloves put through a garlic press
- 2 tsp dried Greek oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2-4 lamb shanks (small enough to fit into your slow cooker).
For the Slow Cooker
- 1 large onion, rough chopped
- 2-3 large carrots, rough chopped
- pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2″ cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup crumbled feta for serving.
- Mix the marinade together and pour over 2-4 lamb shanks to coat. Marinade 24 hours, turning every once in a while.
- Remove lamb from the fridge to come up to room temp while you are prepping the slow cooker.
- Put onions and carrots in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add the lamb and marinade.
- Sprinkle with the salt.
- tuck in the bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
- Surround with the cherry tomotoes.
- Put the lid on, set to low and cook for 7-8 hours or until the meat is falling off the bones.
- Serve over mashed potato or mashed sweet potato and top with crumbled feta cheese.
Serves 2-4 depending on how many lamb shanks you did.