The original recipe is from Simplysated.com. I made a couple minor changes here and there. It was delicious!
Month: June 2019
This Socca chickpea pancake recipe is based on David Lebovitz’s Socca Recipe.
- 1 C chickpea flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill chickpea and fava flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsps olive oil (and more for the pan)
- 1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
- Whisk the flour, water, salt, cumin, turmeric and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Let batter rest, covered, at room temperature for at least an hour or up to 12. It should be the consistency of heavy cream.
- To cook, heat the oven to 450F. Oil a 9- or 10-inch (23cm) cast iron skillet with the remaining olive oil and heat the pan in the oven.
- Remove the pan from the oven and add the onions and stir, let them cook for 3-5 minutes stirring a couple times until browned. Pour enough batter into the pan to cover the bottom, swirl it around, then pop it back in the oven.
- Bake until the socca is firm (10-15 minutes).
- Remove from oven.
- Turn on the broiler and brush the top of the pancake with 1 or 2 tablespoons of oil if it looks dry. Return the pan to the oven, a few inches away from the broiler, and cook long enough to brown it in spots. Cut it into wedges, and serve hot or warm.