Easy Peasy Roasted Potatoes, Tomatoes, and Red Onion
Sometimes simple is best and this recipe for roasted potatoes, tomatoes and red onion fits the bill. Normally, I roast root vegetables on high (like 425F high), but I wanted roasted tomatoes and they would have been charbroiled if I’d done that so I chose to roast longer at 350F. This would have been a great side dish for BBQ chicken, but I didn’t have any (boo hoo), so I treated it like a baked potato and served it up with grated cheese, sour cream and fresh salsa. I didn’t miss the chicken…well ok, maybe just a little.
- 3 large unpeeled russet potatoes cut in 1/2″ dice
- 10 Marzano tomatoes cut lengthwise (or use whatever cherry tomato you like)
- 1/2 a large red onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2-3 Tbsps olive oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt (or to your taste)
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Fixings: grated cheddar, sour cream and salsa for finishing
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a cookie sheet with baker’s parchment (just makes clean up easier).
- Mix all the ingredients, except the fixings, together in a big bowl, making sure everything is coated with the olive oil.
- Dump the works onto the lined cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes, stir and bake another 25 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with grated cheddar.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and some salsa.
Serves 2 as a main dish and 4 as a side dish.