Black Bean Sliders
This recipe is a take on my Mom’s recipe. Like her, I have “difficulties” following recipes so I’ve adapted it a bit.
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 0z sliced mushrooms
- 1 C toasted walnuts
- 1.5 C cooked black beans (canned or try making my Cuban Black Beans recipe)
- 1 C cooked brown rice (fool proof recipe for Brown Rice)
- 3/4 C Panko bread crumbs (or almond meal if you are gluten-free)
- 1 heaping tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbps Dijon mustard
- Saute the onions until soft.
- Add the garlic and saute for another minute
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Puree the onions, garlic and mushrooms in a food processor.
- Add the toast nuts and the black beans and give it another whiz.
- Remove the “mash” from the food processor and then add the remaining ingredients (the first time I made these I processed everything together and while they tasted fine, they did look a little like concrete).
- Add the brown rice, Panko bread crumbs and the cumin, egg, and Dijon.
- Form into patties and fry 3-4 minutes per side in vegetable oil (or bake line a baking tray with baker’s parchment and bake at 375 for 20 minutes, flipping half-way through.
Serve in a wrap, on buns or use lettuce. Top with whatever fixings you like best. I baked these ones and didn’t have any buns or wraps so just ate it on top of hummus with a dollop of BBQ sauce on top. The texture is a bit like kofta (next time I will stir in the rice and bread crumbs to go for more texture). Or I might make them more falafel size. Either way, I will make these again.