Gluten-free, Egg-free Buckwheat Bread
I had a craving for buckwheat pancakes (no idea why) so I ended up buying some buckwheat flour. Then I saw this Gluten-free Buckwheat Bread (Egg-Free) from Food by Mars. I looked like the Russian Rye bread I love, so I gave it a go. I used Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer instead of chia seeds but maybe next time I’ll give that a whirl. It’s definitely along the lines of Russian Rye, but less dense. I will and be fantastic with good cheese.
- 2 Tbsp Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer
- 4 Tbsp water
- 1 and 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 2 tsp sugar or honey
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- Add yeast and sugar into the lukewarm water. Mix well and let sit for 10 minutes to let the yeast activate.
- Make the egg replacer.
- Add oil into the egg replacer and whisk. It will be gloppy (don’t worry about it, it will come together later)
- Put the flour and sea salt in a large bowl.
- Add egg replacer-oil mixture into the bowl and give it stir. Don’t bother trying to mix it up completely.
- Mix in the vinegar and yeast mix.
- Add more water if your batter is too thick.
- Line an 8″ loaf pan with baker’s parchment.
- Pour or spoon the batter into the loaf pan evenly and cover lightly with a large food storage bag or any bag.
- But the batter in a cold oven (oven is turned off), and let it rise for 90 minutes.
- Once it’s risen and doubled in size or so, remove it from the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 430F degrees.
- Bake for approx. 25-30 minutes until there is a firm crust exterior.
- Remove and let cool before slicing.