Quick Pickled Red Onion
There’s a Gastown restaurant called Birds & Beets that serves their breakfast sandwiches with pickled red onion on top. They are oh so delicious so I decided to make some at home.
- 1 large red onion, peeled, cut in half and sliced thinly
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper balls
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp corriander balls
- 1 whole clove
- Combine vinegar, water salt and sugar in a small pot bring to a simmer over medium heat until the salt and sugar have dissolved into a pickling liquid.
- Put the pepper, bay leaf, coriander and cloves in the bottom of a 1 quart jar and place the sliced onions on top.
- Pour the pickling liquid over top and press the onions down so that they are covered.
- Place the lid on the jar and leave to steep for at least 30 minutes (longer is better).
- If you are not going to use them straight away, pop the jar in the fridge. They will keep for 2 weeks (if they last that long).