Buttermilk Cornmeal Muffins with Niblets
These are quick to whip up and a great extra for lunch or dinner. You could probably reduce the sugar to 1/4 c. because of the sweetness from the niblets.
You will need:
3/4 c. yellow cornmeal
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
1 c. all purpose flour
1/3 c. white sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 12 oz (341 mL) can of niblet corn drained.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a medium sized bowl combine cornmeal and buttermilk. Stir and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a second large bowl.
- Whisk egg and oil into cornmeal and buttermilk and stir in the drained niblets.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just combined (don’t over mix).
- Grease a 12 muffin pan (or use large paper liners).
- Fill muffin cups 2/3rds full.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden. A skewer should come out clean. If there is still batter sticking then bake another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes before loosening sides to allow muffins to cool completely.
Makes 12 medium sized muffins.