Pan Fried Zucchini Flowers Stuffed with Ricotta and Fresh Oregano
My friend Annabel likes to cook new things (aside from daughters who used to be in dance together, we also have this in common). This week she picked up some lovely zucchini blossoms at the farmer’s market and we decided to have a go at cooking them up. We had a look on the internet and the ricotta stuffed flowers looked and sounded pretty appealing. The original recipe is from Jamie Oliver’s Crispy Zucchini Flowers Stuffed with Ricotta and Mint but Annabel only had spearmint in the garden so we went with (garden fresh) oregano instead and it was delicious!
Not to worry she made us some Apple Mint Shrub Gin and Tonics so the spearmint did not go to waste!
We only had five zucchini flowers so we cut down on the batter and then made Corn and Green Onion Fritters with the leftovers (waste not want not!). The extra ricotta filling from the zucchini blossoms was great slathered on top.
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 C freshly grated Parmesan
- zest of 1 lemon, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 4-5 springs of fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small fresh red chili, halved, seeded and very finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 C self-rising flour
- 1 1/4 C sparkling water
- 5-8 zucchini flowers
- Light tasting oil for frying (we used Canola oil)
- A small piece potato, peeled, to test the oil is hot enough