Morning Glory-ish Muffins
This recipe is a melange of a bunch of different recipes for Morning Glory Muffins and Pineapple Carrot Muffins. I mixed these by hand (a mixer is not necessary). I used white flour but you could use whole wheat or a mix of the two. They are not super sweet and the orange zest really shines through.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1 small apple cored and grated
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Zest of one orange
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple (drained)
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Grate the carrot and apple and toss them into the dry ingredients and give them a good mix (this ensures an even mix throughout the muffin batter).
- Stir in the raisins.
- Whisk the oil, buttermilk, vanilla and eggs.
- Stir in the crushed pineapple.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet.
- Mix until just combined (try not to over mix).
- Line 12 muffin tin with liners or grease and fill 2/3rds full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool on rack for 5 minutes then remove from tin.
These freeze well.