Spelt Flour Tortillas
Thanks to Oh She Glows for this gem of a recipe for Spelt Tortillas. With only five ingredients how could I say no (plus I made Pork Barbacoa today and I needed something to wrap it in!).
- 2 cups organic sifted Spelt Flour (If you live in Vancouver try the fresh-milled flour at The Flourist)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup hot water
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Cover and put in a warm spot for 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8, cover and let stand another 20 minutes.
- Preheat a frying pan over medium heat.
- Place a dough ball on a piece of baker’s parchment paper and flatten. Cover with a second piece of parchment and roll the ball out into a 6 or 7 inch circle (or as thin as you can).
- Put the tortilla into the skillet and wait until bubble form and the bottom is slightly brown. Flip and press down once or twice cooking for an additional minute or until smoke appears.
- Remove to a plate lined with a wet paper towel, cover with a clean tea towel and repeat, putting a damp paper towel between each layer.
- Use them right away or pop them in the fridge for later and reheat by wrapping in foil and putting them in the oven at 250 degrees F for 20 minutes.