Chai Jiffy Rolls
Chai Jiffy Rolls are a twist on the recipe for Jiffy Cinnamon Rolls in Jean Paré, CM’s Muffins & More cookbook. I got a copy of this book from a dear friend back in 1987 with special instruction to make sure I baked the Cinnamon Rolls at least once (and to invite her over when I did). I’ve made the originals many times but I was craving something with cardamon in it and sooooo…I decided to replace the cinnamon with about triple the amount of the Minimalist Baker’s 5-Minute Caffeine-Free Chai Mix.
- 2 C flour
- 2 Tbsp organic cane sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 C butter
- 1 C cold milk
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 1 C brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp Chai Mix
- 1/3 C currants
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Mix the dry ingredients for the dough together in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into dry ingredients (or just use your fingers) until you have a flour and butter crumble.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk.
- Stir until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured baker’s parchment and knead it a few times until it comes together.
- Lightly flour the top of the dough, place another piece of baker’s parchment on top and roll out in a rectangle that is about 8″ x 12″.
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the Chai mix and cream together.
- Grease a 12 cup muffin tin and the add about 1/2 tsp of the sugar spice mixture to each cup.
- Spread the remaining sugar spice mixture over the dough rectangle leaving about 1/2″ of dough uncovered on one long edge.
- Sprinkle the dough with currants and roll up like you would a jelly roll.
- Mark and cut 12 equal slices.
- Place the slices cut side down it the muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (depends on the heat of your oven).
- Remove and turn the rolls out onto a tray to cool.
Glaze if you want, but they really don’t need it.