Overnight Oats with Frozen Fruit Medley (Peach, Mango, Pineapple and Strawberry)
Like many people I’ve been tackling the “COVID 10” weight gain. Instead of investing in a whole new wardrobe, I decided to try Noom to see whether it might help me drop the extra weight. Part of the challenge is finding stuff I like to eat that works with my paltry daily calorie alotment. As I worship the holy triumverate of pudge (sugar, fat and salt), this has not been easy. This recipe is based on this Blueberry Orange Lavender Overnight Oats recipe. However (as usual), I didn’t have half the ingredients and I had frozen fruit I wanted to use up. Plus, I wanted a little hit of sweetness (who doesn’t?).
- 1 cup frozen fruit
- Zest of one orange
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup large flake, old fashioned oats (dry)
- 1/2 cup plain, unsweetened pro-biotic yogurt (2%)
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- Combine the fruit, water and orange zest in a pot and cook until the the fruit is easy to mush with a potato masher.
- Remove from the heat, mash the fruit, stir in the honey and add the chia seeds. Leave the mixture to cool while you mix up the oats.
- Mix the oats, yogurt and milk in a bowl. Combine well.
- Put half the oats in the bottom of a wide mouth jar. Add a layer of half the cooled chia “jam.”
- Top the wit the remaining oats and the rest of the chia jam.
- Put it in the fridge overnight.
This recipe makes enough oats for two days worth of breakfast.