Vegan Gluten-free Peanut Butter Cookies
This recipe is adapted from Sweet as Honey’s Low Carb Peanut Butter Cookies (Merci Carine!). I used coconut sugar instead of eryhritol (I have no idea what that is but the name is super unappealing) and I added 1/2 tsp of almond extract because I find it brings out the peanut flavour. You need to double cool these (on the baking sheet and then again on a rack) before eating them to allow them to crisp up. These are just amazing. They have a deep peanut flavour and I warn you now, they are addictive.
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup almond flour, I used Bob’s Red Mill
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/8 tsp salt (skip it if your peanut butter is already salted, mine wasn’t)
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C)
- Line a baking sheet with baker’s parchment.
- Mix all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl until a dough forms.
- Roll the dough into 1″ balls and place on baking sheet, they won’t spread much so you can put them fairly close together.
- Using a fork dipped in water, press down gently, dip and press again cross hatch your cookies.
- Bake 10 minutes or until sides are golden.
- Remove the tray from the oven and let the cookies cool for at least 10 minutes on the baking sheet.
- Move the cookies gently to a cooling rack to finish cooling (they well be very soft but they will crisp up as they cool).
- Store in a glass or metal cookie tin.
- Makes about 12-15 cookies.