Gluten-free Lasagna (Italissima test-drive)
I decided to try out Italissima Gluten-Free oven ready Lasagna noodles. You need to make the sauce a bit watery to soften the noodles. I ended up with two extra sheet noodles.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 medium carrots grated
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large can stewed tomatoes (796 mL) with the liquid (you need it for the oven ready noodles)
- 1 jar Classico Italian sausage, pepper and onions (650 mL) or 2 C of your favourite sauce
- 2 large zucchini sliced 1/4″ thick lengthwise (think veggie noodles)
- 1 lb ground beef (turkey or chicken if you prefer) or if you want to go vegetarian and replace the meat with roasted peppers.
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 C grated mozzerella, plus 1/4 C grated parmesan for the top of each lasagne
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat the olive oil in a big frying pan.
- Saute onion for 2-3 minutes, add the carrot and saute another couple of minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir.
- Add the ground beef and saute until the beef is no longer pink.
- Add a healthy grind of salt and pepper (to your taste).
- Add the stewed tomatoes and the sauce.
- Bring to a light simmer, turn off the heat.
- Grease or oil two, 1 Qt baking dishes
- Ladle 1/2 C of sauce into the bottom of each baking dish, flow with: noodle, layer of zucchini, 1 C sauce, noodle, 1C sauce, zucchini, noodle, 1/2 C sauce. Top with the grated cheeses.
- Place on a baking sheet to catch any overflow and bake for at least 30 minute or until a knife inserted goes in and out easily (to make sure the noodles are cooked).
- Remove from oven and let stand at least 10 minutes or let cool completely and put in the fridge for the next day. I always think lasagna tastes better on day two.