Gluten-free, egg free Cornbread with Sprouted Corn Flour
I had bought some sprouted corn flour from One Degree Organics as an experiment. I like their food transparency policy and the fact that they are a family company. At first I attempted tortillas. Let’s just say that did not go well. However, I believe in second chances, particularly where unfamiliar ingredients are concerned. So, I thought I’d try out the cornbread recipe on their site with a few modifications. The taste was great but the rise was minimal and you need to either grease the pan heavily or line it with parchment paper because “holy, stick to the pan Batman!” Despite that fiasco, I will make this again because the flavour was really very nice. However, next time I will not use Compliments Brand Gluten-free mix (that’s strike three for them) and I will use parchment paper to line the pan!
- 1 1/2 cups One Degree Organics Sprouted Corn Flour
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour blend (I used the Compliments Gluten-free Blend – another second chance as I was not thrilled with it the first time around)
- 1 Tbsp white sugar (they original recipe calls for coconut sugar but I was out)
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups coconut milk (I used Coconut Dream)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled (I used Nutiva organic coconut oil)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a large baking pan (mine was 12″ x 9″).
- Whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Whisk in the coconut milk and oil.
- Pour into the pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.