Banana Apple Sauce Muffins with Coconut Oil and Chocolate Chips (DF)
Have brown bananas? Yay! Make these banana apple sauce muffins. I used the recipe for Quick & Easy Banana Muffins from Sally’s Baking Addiction as a base and swapped apple sauce for the milk and threw in a cup of chocolate chips. The apple sauce keeps the muffins moist and makes them dairy free. The chocolate chips…well that should be obvious.
- 1 1/2 C flour (could use your favourite gluten-free flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 heaping tsp cinnamon
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/4 C apple sauce
- 6 Tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/3 C coconut sugar
- 1/3 C brown sugar
- 1 egg (you could use flax eggs if you like 1 Tbsp ground flax whisked with 3 Tbsp water)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 C chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with parchment muffin cups.
- In a large bowl or your KitchenAid with the paddle attachment, mash the bananas.
- On low, add the apple sauce, coconut oil, sugars, egg, and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, together in a medium bowl.
- With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients and beat until combined.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the chocolate chips. The batter will be quite loose.
- Spoon the batter evenly into muffin cups.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425 then, reduce the temperature to 350°F and bake for an additional 18 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.