Blueberry Lemon Muffins
I love the texture that semolina flour gives to baked goods so I doctored up The Best Blueberry-Lemon Muffins from Alexandra Cooks (thanks for the base Ali!).
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla (or almond extract – works well with blueberry)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup buttermilk (or 1/2 milk with a tsp of lemon juice)
- cinnamon sugar for sprinkling (mix 1 tsp of cinnamon with 1 Tbsp of white sugar)
- Pre-heat your oven to 375ºF.
- Cream butter, lemon zest, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour.
- Whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Fold in the floured blueberries.
- Grease 12-cup muffin tin (or line with paper or silicone liners).
- Distribute batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Sprinkle the muffin tops with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Check that a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the middle of a muffin.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving.