Roasted Sweet Potato with Carrots and Shallots
Sometimes you just have to cook up what’s in the fridge before you can justify a big grocery shop. In my veggie drawer I had a lonely sweet potato, some carrots and a couple of shallots left over from I don’t remember what. I need to eat more vegetables so there you have it, dinner. Plus, leftover roasted veg is great in an omelette or thrown into a soup base.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, unpeeled and sliced in rounds
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced in rounds
- 1 shallot, sliced any old way
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- Pinch of sumac
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- Pour the oil into a large, cold, oven proof saute pan.
- Turn the heat to medium and toss in the shallots and garlic.
- When the shallots and garlic start to give off their aroma, toss in the sweet potato and carrots.
- Give that a good stir to make sure all the veggies are coated with oil.
- Add the seasonings.
- Pop the saute pan in the oven and bake for 30-45 minutes. Check at 30 minutes and give the veg a toss.
Serves 2 as a side dish.