Vegetable Dill Soup
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
2 C yellow flesh potatoes, diced (Yukon Golds work well)
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp oil + 1 Tbsp butter for sauteing
4 C vegetable stock (or chicken stock if you prefer)
1 tsp pepper balls
1 bay leaf
Handful of dill fronds chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil and butter in a medium-sized soup pot.
- Saute the onion until translucent.
- Add carrots and sauté three minutes.
- Add celery and sauté three minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for one minute or until fragrant. Burned garlic tastes bitter…don’t do that.
- Add pepper balls, bay leaf and stock.
- Add potatoes and bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Using a slotted spoon take about about 2 C of the veg and puree it (I used my ancient Cuisinart but you could use a blender or even a potato masher if you want to go low tech), add a bit of the cooled broth to make a loose soup. Note: let the veg cool enough before pureeing so that you don’t burn yourself (or melt your Cuisinart!).
- Add the pureed veg back into the warm soup, stir in your chopped dill, season with salt and fresh ground black pepper and you are good to go.
I served mine in a Corn Syrup Oatmeal mini-bread bowl but a regular non-edible bowl will do!
Note: Serves 6-8